The costs of renting an aircraft oscillate between $20 thousand and $30 thousand per flight, while the price for use of the runway varies between $10 thousand and $20 thousand. The airstrips are used, at most, two or three times in a row by a clan. After this, the landing strip’s location is changed in order to avoid detection, according to what a source told IDL-Reporteros. “As a safety measure, just when they are arriving at the VRAE they do decide where to land. They rely on UHF radios to communicate.”Continues here
The Daily IKN email digest, get all daily posts sent to you next day (& no ads)
UPDATE: OK, today we go for a little more. There are several things that make this moment one of footballing beauty, including these three:
1) The goal itself, just so wonderfully taken. Sánchez saw the goalie slightly off his line and made the decision to lob him before his final turn around the defender. Notice how Lopez knew he was out of position (a factor that came from the surprise through-ball characteristics more than an out-and-out mistake by him) and was shuffling back before the strike, but wasn't there at the big moment.
2) The occasion: The same way as great wine moments are a combo of a wine and the time/place of drinking, so is a great goal moment. You're 1-0 up at home, the Nou Camp with just under 100,000 of the most fanatical supporters imaginable watching you from the stands and against your greatest rival and Real are coming back in the match. The final score is 2-1. Your goal was the difference, both psychologically and in final reality. And you win it with a golazo. This is the kind of crap that doesn't happen, the things that get schoolboys into trouble for daydreaming in class. And look at that face in the photo above!
3) The technique and intelligence of Sánchez. An important element is that Alexis Sánchez is a natural left footer and favours his left foot over his right, while this goal came from his right foot. So first look at the deft first touch, a backheel to himself, which makes room by stepping back from the defender, Varane. Now Varane has done his homework on the people he defends against and knows Sánchez prefers his left foot for scoring, so look again how he moves in to mark Alexis with body shaped to the left in order to block out his preference. Good defending in theory, but Alexis surprises him by going to the right and then leaves him no time at all to cover before getting his perfect, right-footed lob away. That's the hallmark of a top class and fast thinking attacker.
Yes, of course there were, are and will be "better goals" scored, but that's not the point. This was a moment of beauty, period. It's not something to be compared, it's something to be shared. Those rare moments when sport lifts you up and affirms life. My stars, pity the person who doesn't have any appreciation for Association Football because Pelé is right and they're all wrong. It is the beautiful game.
Thank you, Alexis Sánchez.
Why veterans and "key players" such as Frank Giustra, Randall Oliphant, Frank Holmes and Paul Reynolds are now saying they're bullish on gold and resource stocks?
Your possible answers:
1) They want to sell them to you, stupid.
2) They've bought all they can and now want your money to push them higher before they sell to somebody even more stupid than you are.
3) They're being totally open and honest about their financial viewpoints for the first time since they entered into the capital markets arena. And if you believe this one then you're really stupid.
4) The CEOs and chairs, via their paid-for whore newsletter writers and brokerage captains, need OPM and are looking to run placements in their own companies soon.Send in your answers to:
Useful Idiot to Rich People
Canada (via Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami Beach, Fla)
The workshop started just after 6pm. A few minutes later, a group of protesters started banging on the door and accusing the people participating in the workshop of not being from the zone (affected by the eventual mine).As the violence increased, the members of the presentation committee, Alberto Dáiz representing the Ministry of Energy and Mining and José Vargas the project manager, continued their presentation as if nothing was happening (outside). Several masked protesters, who said they were local farmers, began to get violent and threaten the hired Southern Copper security personnel and police officers.José Vargas apparently did not hear the shouts from the protesters and continued to quickly explain about the project. Those present at the workshop, now becoming more nervous, started gathering at the front of the hall. Some women started crying. But Vargas asked for a round of applause for the project. "We're not going to give them the pleasure of interrrupting the workshop", he said, while telling the presentation team to keep showing the presentation slides that were barely understood (by those present).At 6:49pm a molotov cocktail was thrown from the street which landed on the fabric canopy covering the auditorium. The audience panicked, but the representative from the mine shouted out, "We won't fall into their boycott!".Inside, fire fighters managed to put out the flames and the workshop continued. A few minutes later police officers began to come into the auditorium with injuries. "They were going to kill us", said one of them with a fractured skull. Another nine of his colleagues were also bleeding.The presentation continued while police outside launched tear gas at the protesters. At the same time, some of the participants in the workshop calmly asked about the benefits of the project. It all finished at 7:44pm. The mining company representative signed the presentation act along with members of the Mining and Energy Ministry. According to Alberto Díaz and José Vargas, the event had been a success.
What? You want to know what I think about the subject?
Ressources Conway announces her closureQUEBEC, Oct. 24, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Conway Resources Inc. ("Conway" or the "Company") (TSXV: CWY) is pleased to announce that she intends(hears) to proceed to the closure(lock) of the Company(Society) by making a transfer of the good(property) by the management agent Lemieux and Nolet inc. on October 24th, 2013.Mr. Laurent Beaudoin, President and Chief Executive Officer of Conway, said: "the lack of the annual financing and the increase of expenses for a junior public Society, had the effect of maintaining a rate of high debts".More information can be found on website at: www.lemieuxnoletsyndic.comAbout Conway Resources Inc.
And after that, there's only one possible thing to add:
Fetchez la vache
Casey's Louis Lobito Little Wolf James' update to Investment Alert clients #528, October 10th. It's the way in which those stink bids get filled that makes him neverwrong, yaknowz. But hey, if it was a good buy at 5 it must be a great one at 4....buy more Lobito, buy more!
Pretium Resources (PVG.TO, C$4.87, 102.3M SO, 110.9M FD, C$498.2M MCap, www.pretivm.com)As you probably saw on our portfolio page, we believe the market's reaction is overdone. Given the skepticism prevailing among the company's many outspoken critics, the fact that the company's Qualified Person (Strathcona) for a major part of the critical bulk sample program quit is certainly alarming. But the reason why they quit matters, and the reason was a professional disagreement with the Other Qualified Person (Snowden) as to how to proceed. This is a very different thing from there being an actual problem with the bulk sample, or new doubts about the company's resources in the ground.As we understand it, Strathcona wanted to base the bulk sample on a fraction of material mined, prepared via the sampling tower the company has built on site. But this would mean storing the remainder of the material, which would contain several thousand ounces of gold. Pretium wanted to recover all the gold—which, as a shareholder I approve of, and so did Snowden. Strathcona said it wasn't necessary, and the two Qualified Persons could not agree, so Strathcona quit.Net: there's no real reason to believe there's anything wrong with Pretium's Valley of the Kings deposit.What about the persistent criticisms, alleging that the resource model depends too much on multiple narrow high-grade veins? Well, there are so many of these high-grade veins, over so large an area, and much of the material in between also carries gold, if at a lower grade, that the skepticism has long seemed more than a bit exaggerated to us. (Sour grapes?)I may be wrong, but as mentioned yesterday, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and have instructed my broker to place what is, for me, a large order. And I know I'm not the only one here at Casey Research doing so. We had active stink bid guidance to buy under $5, which I hope was filled for many of you.
UPDATE: PVG getting slammed at the open.
A Cardero Group company using misleading and unbalanced language? Really? Is it possible? After all this time?
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands"
IKN explains the difference between a retail shareholder researching information and an asset manager looking for professional support
Your humble scribe received this mail from reader "K" today:
Curious what your thoughts are on the political situation in Peru from a mining perspective, and if you’ve heard any chatter from the ground on Sulliden and their project?
PS: And by the way, realize that I'm being really really nice to you, way nicer than you deserve. Even bother to mail me again under any circumstances at all (even a stupid asshole cringing apology counts) and I'll publish your name, where you work, your mail address and I'll make sure your boss gets a copy of anything I write about you. Now. Fuck. Off. Forever. Never ever mail me again and be clear that your eyeballs on this blog are 100% unwelcome for all time. Asshole.
update: oh dear, that bright idea i had about not swearing on the blog any more...
...on this news, which makes your humble scribe chuckle:
IKN233 has just been sent to subscribers.
The NSA has been systematically eavesdropping on the Mexican government for years. It hacked into the president's public email account and gained deep insight into policymaking and the political system. The news is likely to hurt ties between the US and Mexico